Saturday, July 2, 2016

Assured of His presence




 
I went through a rougher patch this spring. I was tired and under pressure, at times feeling like I can barely keep it over the water. And then something extra happened which actually made me feel like going under, struggling for breath. Yes, Jesus is still there, He is very close even, I talk to Him, I hear from Him, but I still feel I am drowning. When the waters rose in my circumstances, I however felt the strong arm of Jesus holding me tightly and pulling me up. He has me and will not let me go, this is for sure. I see Him going ahead of me and showing me what to do and where to get help.
God is so good and He calmed the storm. Moreover, since then He has satisfied me with good things and opened up new opportunities. He delights in surprising us and giving us good breaks when we stick with Him through difficulties that life and circumstances throw at us. He turns things around and all the while, He is doing deeper work in me and those around me. We do not need to take matters into own hands or act out in fleshly ways, but follow His lead and watch Him turn our fortunes and repay to us. At times, it is trust in the daily manna He will provide to sustain us and get us through, but there come days of abundance when there is more than we hope and expect. He keeps His promise: “When you are over your head, I’ll be there with you. When you are in rough waters, you will not go down. When you are between a rock and a hard place it won’t be a dead end – because I am God, your personal God...” (Isaiah 43, 2-3 MSG)
And even in situations less intense, I recently have experienced that He really wants me to know He is there for me. For instance, when going for a meeting to discuss possibly teaching a course at a university or taking a long trip back home on my own with two kids. Those were occasions when I prayed, but also sort of felt – I think generally I can handle this. But interestingly, through various sources – own readings, daily quotes, encouragement lists strongly came through the verses assuring me of His presence: Don’t you be afraid, for I am with you. (Isaiah 41,10) I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for He is right beside me. (Psalm 16,8) He knew that deep inside I had this need to know that He is with me in these situations also. And certainly, it helped to hear from Him that just before taking on these challenges and to be assured of His presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment