Friday, July 22, 2016

Standing my ground and exercising influence



About six years ago in Finland, while being with a kid in a playground outdoors, I met another mother. I was invited to join a local mother’s meeting at a public facility in a neighborhood where we used to live. I went there with my son who was about a 1,5 years old back then. It was nice to socialize with other mothers, however, strangely the person who invited me acted very unkind in some situations. It was to the point that I questioned if I should continue to go as I did not know others there too well yet. However, as I spent time on the balcony in a warm autumn sun later that day, God turned my attention to this scripture in Psalm 36,12: “Don’t let the foot of the proud tread on me or the hands of the wicked drive me away.” I realized that God wants me to continue to attend these mothers’ meetings despite the feelings I had that day. I did so and it was a blessing to participate there for about three more years to come. And the person who had been unkind could not attend any more and disappeared pretty soon.
I would like to share another situation where I felt there was opposition to gaining more ground and expanding boundaries. After finishing my Bachelor’s studies, I was not really sure what to do, but eventually the option came up to return to my hometown to work there. During the time, I once saw a dream that I am walking the well known road to my parent’s house. However, as I was coming nearer, I saw a snake on the road. I continued to come nearer and when I was very near to it, the snake actually rose up its head, remained half standing (the way as cobras do) and started to hiss at me to try to prevent my passage. I tried to go around on one side or another, but the snake quickly turned either way I intended to go. Dream finished, but I later realized that there is a spiritual force that wants to keep me away from my parents and having a good relationship with them. 
Sometimes we are put in difficult places and situations. To have feelings of wanting to withdraw in some way, to leave, give up or quit is quite natural. I have sometimes wondered to God: “Is it worth to be here? I don’t see how it adds up.” Then God spoke to my heart: “Maybe it does not add up right now, but do it as a service unto Me. No matter what someone says, My truth is that you are the sun, and they are the moon. The only light they have and reflect is My light shining through you.” I have realized with time that God puts us in places for a reason and He wants me to stand my ground right where I am and not move an inch in shrinking back. This is my territory given to me by God, and to leave would be giving up ground. Enemy would be more than excited if we give up the territory and become less significant! At times, he will use people who don’t know better to accuse, reject, intimidate and threaten. However, God promises to increase our territory gradually if we don’t give up. "Little by little I will drive them out before you, until you have increased enough to take possession of the land.” (Exodus 23, 30) It does not mean necessarily that someone needs to be driven out physically; at times releasing is happening in spiritual realm and that changes situation. God encourages us: “Stand firmly in your place. Hold your ground.” (Ephesians 6, 13-14)



1 comment:

  1. sorry dear! Sometimes i didn't realize sth you have to face was larger than it seems to be. I didn't know the inviter who you felt uneasy. The time was gone, left some thoughts for us to think the meaning behind. Will see more in our lives.

    ReplyDelete