Sunday, July 10, 2016

Continuously refreshed by His Word



Perhaps around 10 years ago I had a dream. I saw crystal clear waters running from one terrace to another. There were many of them, in a similar fashion as rice fields have in mountain areas. After waking, I felt very refreshed. I knew that the waters I saw is the Word of God that can truly refresh and make us alive deep inside. I had renewed confidence that the Word of God has all we need and is more than able to sustain us. In the dream, the water was pouring in waterfalls from one terrace to another. All of them were filled to the point of overflow. It suggests to me that although the word comes from God, we can be living containers of it and it can flow from one to another. Thus, not only reading in private is important, but also speaking and sharing God’s word to one another as it is revealed to us.
It has taken some time in my Christian walk to really start to receive and to be deeply refreshed by God’s word. There have been some periods when Bible reading was a bit dry experience, perhaps due to hurry and pressures in some periods of my life. During my years of full time work, it was mostly  reading of one chapter in the morning when oftentimes I still felt sleepy. I think it is better than nothing, but it did not really refresh me. At times, God needs to plow the soil of our hearts so that we can truly be motivated to seek Him more seriously and then start to receive. I experienced then that God’s word was starting to come alive and speak to me personally. It can gain a third dimension by depth of personal meaning, and then fourth dimension by actually starting to move and bring changes in my life.
I have found that writing out verses which have particularly spoken to me is very important, and doing so repetitively, if needed, when the same verse appears meaningful again. For instance, at a time in my life when I was discouraged and confused, this verse was very powerful: “Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.” (Matthew 10; 29-31) Another example, God has repetitively spoken to me through Isaiah 41, 15: "See, I will make you into a threshing sledge, new and sharp, with many teeth. You will thresh the mountains and crush them, and reduce the hills to chaff.” It has been empowering word when going through challenges, a reminder that God has greater victorious destiny and purpose for me and He is preparing me for that. When experiencing opposition, this verse has been reassuring: “No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. (…) I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Joshua 1,5)
I recently visited an art exhibition in my hometown and few people whom I have not seen for some years noted that I am looking good or that they see God’s blessing in my life. While being put together or new hair color can make some difference, I would primarily ascribe looking good to God who loves to make His presence known through us. God’s word is very satisfying as it inspires and speaks deeply and personally, and we are being refreshed and renewed even as we walk through challenges.


No comments:

Post a Comment