Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Supernatural opportunities and endurance II


This is the second part of my address at ladies’ retreat in Dongshan on April 28

Let us continue to read from the gospel of John: Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, “It is the Lord!” As soon as Simon Peter heard him say, “It is the Lord,” he wrapped his outer garment around him (for he had taken it off) and jumped into the water. The other disciples followed in the boat, towing the net full of fish, for they were not far from shore, about a hundred yards. When they landed, they saw a fire of burning coals there with fish on it, and some bread. Jesus said to them, “Bring some of the fish you have just caught.” So Simon Peter climbed back into the boat and dragged the net ashore. It was full of large fish, 153, but even with so many the net was not torn.” (John 21, 7-11) 
Interestingly, after they had a big catch, now there was another problem - the net was stretched almost to the point of breaking. Together with a supernatural catch, however, came a supernatural endurance of the net for pulling fish out. We may at times be stretched, too, when ministry opportunities widen and more people come. Also, this verse shows that it is not enough to catch the fish, we need to pull them out, otherwise we may lose them and they start to swim away again. Likewise, it is not enough that people accept Jesus as their Savior, we need to disciple them and pull them out to safety, and that can be stretching. I have been blessed with seven women and five toddlers in my group, but at times we all were present, it was difficult to keep it all together. Sometimes I came despite being tired or my little one not being totally well. Some of us were feeling stretched before our big Christmas and Easter events. But this verse encourages us that God can supernaturally sustain us so we are able to handle the opportunities that open up for us. We may feel torn or breaking for many other reasons such as challenges in the family or personal issues. I recently felt overwhelmed, but was strengthened by the reminder that spirit part in us needs to rule the soul. I felt chaotic and irritated, but experienced peace and alignment once I called forth my spirit to take control of my being.
Let us hear again the words from the “Spirit blessings” by Arthur Bruk and Sylvia Gunther: “Spirit, as much as you are loved, you have experienced pain. You are part of a great battle against the enemy of Most High God. I bless you with the ability to have joy that transcends pain. I bless you with a clear picture of what is before you, the thing that God has called you to do, so you can endure the pain to get there. The enemy will magnify the pain and cause you to focus on it, but I bless you with being aware of the joy set before you. I bless you with sufficient understanding of that joy so you will not count the cost but will pay the price. I bless you in the name of Jesus, who is the prize. Spirit, I bless you with waking up every morning knowing that the living God is sustaining, strengthening, and renewing you for the opportunities and problems He sets before you today. I bless you with the assurance of inner quiet, security, and strength, not only for each day, but for as long as God chooses your lifetime to be. I bless you with meeting Him daily spirit to Spirit. I bless you with doing nothing by mere human effort. I bless you with being energized with the life of eternity upon all that you are and think and do. I bless you in the name of the Spirit of life. You are the apple of the eye of the Ancient of days. He cares for you. He is grooming you for triumph, not just survival.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment