Saturday, March 12, 2016

Celebrating the Lord in dance



From about age of 5 to 10 I was involved in modern dance lesions. It was a big thing in our town those days which many people participated. We needed to have dresses made and performed in festivities and had own competitions.  There were white dresses for classic dances like waltz, and colorful ones for the Latin American dances such as cha-cha. Later during some period I also enjoyed attending school discos.
Because dance has been part of my life before, when becoming a Christian and listening to contemporary Christian music on my own at home, it felt natural to dance along, especially for those joyful songs with a good beat. I mostly have done it in private, as a way of spending time with God. Worshiping this way, it was often possible to shake off some negative impacts and move along feeling victorious. Occasionally, some Christian concerts or events have offered possibility to move a bit as well. I believe that dance in essence is a form of worship, because it does not accomplish practical value. For sure, dance can be used for other purposes than godly, such as igniting lust in masses. I believe that nevertheless dance originally belongs to God and can be an expression of joy and adoration.
So I have been familiar with dancing before the Lord for many years and have practiced it in some periods more, in some periods less. Recently, however, a new thought challenged me. I read in the testimony of David Sorensen that he was invited in the Holy Spirit to dance with the Creator of the Universe. Responding to this invitation, he experienced Him in an amazing way. I felt that through this testimony, God was making the same invitation also to me. Moving from dancing before Him to dancing with Him is really another level of closeness. I put on some worship DVD and started to dance. And indeed, I experienced that He was there with me, I felt His presence more than usual. I sensed also that there are angels in circle around us cheering and protecting the sacred space and moment. It was amazing. Later several times it happened that if I suddenly woke up in the night, Jesus was inviting me to get up and dance a bit in the silence. As I did that, I experienced His tender feelings towards me and saw myself as He sees me. Sometimes as I talk with Jesus, He just asks me to lay down all my burdens and dance. It is quite liberating! I have also seen with the eyes of my spirit that angels are dancing along.
Would you celebrate the good things that God is accomplishing through His people around the world? Would you move as God has created you to move? Would you shake off everything that binds you and just feel the pure stream of the Holy Spirit wash through your spirit? You were made for that, for worshiping Him. It can make you happier than anything else. He enjoys your every move in His presence, however awkward it may seem to yourself. Your movements make beautiful pieces of art which you will be able to see in heaven once. “I don’t know about you, but I feel better when I’m dancing / I bet you’ll feel better when you’re dancing / It feels so good to be alive / Celebrate this life that you are given.” (Megan Trainor / Better when I’m dancing & Good to be alive)

No comments:

Post a Comment