Saturday, March 5, 2016

Step into the water and it will part



During my exchange in Sweden in 2002, I had a Christian friend. She was perhaps 10 years older, but still a student and occasionally we met up somewhere in the campus. Once on a sunny day, we just sat on the steps near the main library and decided to pray. I started off earnestly, but using pretty standard phrases in prayer. She stopped me and said: “That is not the way to pray!” She waited on the inspiration of the Holy Spirit in silence and then prophesied to me these words: “Once when the Israelites crossed the Jordan River, they at first had to step into the water and only then it parted in front of them (Joshua 3). Step into the water and it will part.”
I often remembered these words about a year later. My plan A after finishing undergraduate studies was to go to U.S. for Master’s studies. I applied for a Fulbright scholarship, but did not get it. I felt confused, returned to my hometown and started to work, which was somewhat difficult at first. However, gradually my boundaries increased and in retrospect I can see gain from those years - the working experience with international affairs, being part of the local church and near to my family, and strengthening my network of relationships at the place where my parents live. When I go back now, this place is still very alive for me because of the years I spent in-between my studies and moving to Finland. I have heard that for some people, going back now is like going almost to nowhere, as so much has changed and not many friends on spot.
Another situation when I needed the reminder of daring to step into waters was our move to China in 2013. I understand that for many people having this kind of opportunity would be exciting. For my case, the previous experiences in China were somewhat difficult. I suppose it has to do with my personality - being a highly sensitive introvert is not easy in noisy and intense China. Also, many people live in China largely in their own terms, but for my case, as a part of extended family I get to dive deeply into local ways of doing things. Once faced with the necessity to move to China, it was a bit like entering cool water when starting to swim. You feel shivering and hesitant at first, and the very first moment when entering is less than pleasant, but gradually you adjust and start to feel more comfortable. After nearly 3 years in China by now, I can see good coming out also of this move. My husband has more opportunities here, we have more help with kids and even it has been good for us spiritually. Our home Bible study group is great and here we also have access to other different type of Christian events in nearby Shanghai.  
This may sound much like ‘stepping out of your comfort zone’ stuff. However, I personally do not believe in jumping at anything just for the sake of taking risks. We do not have a promise that it will always be good for us or that it will always work out. I only believe in stepping into the water under God’s guidance. Going back to Joshua 3, when the Israelites crossed the Jordan River, they carried the ark of Covenant, which was symbolic of God’s presence at a time. We need Gods presence and guidance in the big steps that we take, be it a necessary move or something else, like taking initiative to start to pray together with a family member. When He is with us, He will make those waters part in front of us, and we get to go through.

No comments:

Post a Comment