Wednesday, January 27, 2016

I sense holiness in you



During our years in Finland, we made trips back to Latvia once or twice a year and stayed with my parents for some time. On the summer of 2011, we also went back for three weeks, with Dan 2 years old at a time. At a time, some Finns who served in Estonia came to explore mission possibilities in my hometown Aluksne. We spent some time with them going around and seeing various facilities for possible events. One evening we met with them for a small group meeting. Their leader shared some of his visions and insights received while being in ministry. Then he and his team prayed for us. The prayers were guided by the Holy Spirit and many received some encouraging word for themselves which was just right for their situation. 
When my turn came, I was a bit uneasy about what the Spirit of God would reveal about me. Will it be about some weakness in me? However, the word was very uplifting. And I remember the most what this man said to me afterwards: “When I prayed about you, I sensed something very special, something that I have very rarely felt. I sensed holiness. I know that God is very important to you.” I was immensely encouraged by these words. Not that I would see myself as perfect, but despite some struggles, I was reaffirmed that I am devoted to God and this shows. 
This happened at the time in my life when childcare started to provide a lot of distractions. Although I did read the Bible and pray on fairly regular basis, this was a reminder of a deeper spiritual dimension that can be experienced again and the fact that I am created for more than just the everyday routine and duties. To regain deeper connection with Jesus, after return to Finland I started to go and pray in the little forest that was just next to our apartment building. Those were special fellowship times with the Lord during which I was able to focus better than at home. I also loved the pines, plants, and fragrances of the forest. In the middle of that forest, there was a big rock. I would make a round in the forest praying and then stop at that rock for a while. It would remind me that God is our strong Rock (Psalm 78:35).
Later on, especially in 2014-2015, verses on holy living particularly spoke to me in the Bible. Holiness means being separated for God’s purposes and not contaminated by sin. While God can meet us and work with us as we are, we need to grow on the inside before certain revelations and closeness can be entrusted to us. Sometimes there are experiences of desert and valleys during which we need to remain faithful. I believe God was preparing me for the spiritual breakthrough that I experience right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment