Friday, January 29, 2016

Jesus asks: How is Viva?



In spring of 2015, I spent 2 weeks in Copenhagen on scholarship to collect some material for my dissertation. For this purpose, I made a trip from China while being 6 months pregnant. On the first Sunday of stay, I decided to visit local international church which was just next to the university. After the service, it was possible to have fellowship with coffee table upstairs of the church. A kind older man approached and sat down with me and two young women. He started a conversation and shared a testimony he had heard about an atheist woman who had seen a detailed vision of Jesus and felt seen and accepted for the first time in her life. The story vividly spoke to me and on the way back to place of stay, I sensed the presence of Jesus following me. 
Not wanting to lose the momentum, when being back I decided to pray, but to pray knowing that Jesus is really here, sitting opposite to me in the red  armchair that was in the room. I closed my eyes, ready for what He would say to me. And His first sentence came through astonishingly clear in my spirit: “How is Viva?” I kind of exploded on the inside - I had not expected Jesus saying that, but this simple sentence spoke volumes. Firstly, I sensed His deep concern of my well-being and the well-being of a new life within me. Secondly, I was affirmed that the new baby is a girl, something that myself and the extended family strongly wanted. He was also calling her Viva, the name that I have been considering for a long time. He was affirming the choice of the name as if it is settled already and called it forth. I was also amazed at His respect of my boundaries – He is the Lord who knows it all, but He still asks me to tell Him, He asks me to say how I see the situation and how I feel. His question also showed me that you can “have coffee with Jesus” in your prayer time with Him. He started off conversation just as a friend would do. So you can just be real and talk to Him as you would with a close friend.
The pregnancy in some ways was difficult for me, for instance regarding food in China, enduring curious looks in public spaces, having mood swings, and at times just feeling of being in over my head. This moment with Jesus strengthened me a lot. I also gained courage to buy some girls clothes already. Sure enough, the upcoming ultrasounds affirmed that it is indeed a girl. Later, on June 26, our daughter Viva was born. She is a very lively blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment